Saturday, December 17, 2011

HWS Build Part 3

Gluing up the "Skins"

The skins will be made from Paulownia. I got the Paulownia from The "Paulownia Barn" in Swansea South Carolina. Great people to work with!


Paulowinia is 1/4" X 2" X 10'


Layed out the wood and butted it tight together but did not clamp. I screwed a temporary fence on the far side of the table from 2X4's that will be used for multiple purposes during this build. I pushed the slats into the fence to get them tight. Just used masking tape to hold it tight for now:


Flip the panel over to prepare for wood glue:



To glue the panel together I used a method I've seen others use; I put a 2x4 on its side and draped the panel over the edge to open up the seam for glue. Run a bead of glue the length of the panel and repeat till whole panel is glued. Just wipe up the big puddles of glue that squeeze out. This side will not be seen in the final product.



Cover with wax paper to keep the glue from sticking to the 2x4s used to clamp it flat:





No comments:

Post a Comment